Easter Sunday- When you are standing in "Saturday"

Easter
Have you seen this? 
It came up on my Instagram feed this weekend. It's the idea that we wait and mourn the resurrected Christ but Sunday is only a few short days away and we soon will celebrate the risen Lord. 

I have been in a little bit of a funk around Easter and today I think I finally realized why. 
I keep thinking about this "Sunday is coming" idea.  I am so thankful that we have the Hope of the Risen Lord. That my sin has been defeated and I am promised eternity because of his death and resurrection. 
But I keep coming back to "Saturday". 
What happens if even though it's Easter Sunday-I am stuck in a Saturday mindset. A place where brokenness is still very real- where sickness and death still sting. Where I am waiting and anticipating good things, but am still very aware we are in the midst of some tough stuff.  
Lately I have been hit hard with the reality of raising a child with significant special needs. And yesterday Shiloh asked for the first time why Emmaus doesn't talk. Dan explained why and she responded with "Maybe someday she will talk daddy?" 
These hard things feel very "Saturday" to me. 
I love that Shiloh's natural response was hope. And while I fully recognize the hope that Easter Sunday brings- my life is in a place of Saturday currently. 
A place of navigating the effects of having sweet Emmaus in our family. In learning how to navigate her disease with her sisters, the beginning of having to guide them through the delicate journey of understanding that comes with a sibling like Emmaus. 
I often think about eternity. Jesus coming back, or us joining him in heaven. And the health, healing and wholeness that will be. I think about Emmaus, her running and talking and never being sick. I think about the aches and pains that plague my body and my heart and how those won't exist when "Sunday" comes for the final time. 
I know I am not alone here. The reality of standing in Saturday- looking forward to the fact "Sunday" is coming- but knowing it may not come for a long time. 
I am thankful for the hope of Sunday. In the truth of the resurrected Lord. What I guess I am trying to say is this- if this Easter morning you are finding yourself in the depths of Saturday. In the midst of sickness or death and in the reality of this broken world, in a season of hard things. If you, like me are caught off guard by the sting of these things even on this Easter morning- you are not alone. 

Happy Easter dear friends! 
Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts